Monday, 24 July 2017

63,000 people

I'm on holiday floating in the Mediterranean, lazing in the sun, turning brown and slow in the heat. It's times like this I gaze at the people around me and think I want what they have. I think I want the ruby red Campari, the ice cold beer, the glass of chilled white wine, the limoncello at the end of the meal.

I don't really want it though. I want to be like them. I want to be the kind of normal that just sips her one glass of white wine with dinner, or has a single Campari, not needing more. All I need to do to put myself off these fleeting alcohol desires is to remind myself of the reality of my drinking behaviour.

Oh and this timely report today in the Guardian. The silent health crisis of liver disease. I am so happy I actually was able to read this. In my drinking days I would have skimmed over and been too scared for myself to read about the 63,000 who are predicted to die. You can read the article by clicking here.

In the mean time I'll be very thankful that I created a life for myself where I can say make mine an agua, and be grateful for that.

4 comments:

  1. So timely to support what I was raving on about in my post today.
    Thanks so much SP and enjoy your holiday xx
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you are creating a new life for yourself!
    Have fun on your vacation!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all drinking the same thing. Alcohol is the same for most humans, they are just further up in the trap. The med sounds like bliss!!! Have an amazing time. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate finding your blog, and a good agua, any time!

    ReplyDelete